Tuesdays 5:30-6:00 pm (public welcome; $10 drop-in)
continuing through July by popular demand!
Come learn to center yourself with the wooden sword, balance and breath.
In this new Center Yourself Tuesday series we will study the fundamentals of sword work using the wooden bokken while practicing an eight part kata. No falling is required in this class. Footwork patterns include pivoting, sliding and stepping forward and backward. If you do not have your own bokken you may borrow one from the school during class time.
During this class we will:
• Raise the sword in line with the spine
• Execute sword motions relative to the center line of the body
• Move our upper body so it's supported by the motion of the lower body
• Develop footwork that supports movements of the sword
By learning these skills we will :
• make good use of the ground so that gravity becomes a friendly force
• enable our bones to transmit power cleanly so that our muscles can relax
• engage the left hand so that it knows what the right hand is doing
• educate the left and right half's of our bodies to coordinate around a central axis
• allow our ribs to expand and contract in sync with the sword motion and breathing • settle our eyes to align with our intention
• improve our balance so that dynamic stability is realized
"Being centered" and "moving from center" will shift from abstract concepts to tangible experiences.
Your instructor: Suzane Van Amburgh
This class is open to the public for a $10 drop in fee.
Free to dojo members and private students.
Center Yourself, Tuesdays, 5:30-6:00pm
Aikido Multnomah Aikikai, 6415 SW Macadam Ave, Portland OR 97239